Arrived home after lunch thursday. Very sore. I am moving around but since the incision is just above the belly button every single abdominal muscle screams with movement. The procedure supposedly took about 3 hours. I was laid sideways on the table, which also could be bent in the middle to further bend me, spreading the kidney area out. I was told that even with all of this positioning they might still have to crack a rib to get to the kidney. They didn't (Thank God) or I'd probably still be in room 410.
I was however in recovery way too long waiting for a room. The joint was jumpin'...
Dr. G advised me that he should know everything there is to know about the mass on my former kidney once pathology has had their way with it, perhaps Friday.
I have not had much of an appetite since the surgery and this has complicated some of my reactions to the meds they were giving me. Namely Morphine. I was getting nauseous from the drugs with no food in my system. (the food was horrible by the way) lunch on wednesday was quiche.
Quiche. ?
A few hours earlier my breakfast consisted of "Clears" chicken broth, jello, italian ice, tea. I had no desire to eat any of it. Then my afformentioned lunch arrived. I understand my breakfast being jello and stuff having not eaten in two days...but quiche? that's a pretty quick leap on the menu isn't it?
On my way out today lunch was some kind of flounder. Cream of broccolli soup and angel food cake. I had a little bit of the soup but skipped the rest. Dawn ate the flounder.
Didn't get much sleep of course. Nurses come in every 4 hours checking temp, BP and blood oxygen levels. Not to mention late night arrivals making too much noise. My room mate was in for a kidney stone. His Dr shares the practice with my urologist.
Barry was probably in his late 50's or early 60's.
Nice guy. Couldn't have lucked out with a better room mate. He left today too. They found somekind of stone fragments and some mushiness in his left kidney which was causing him blockage and fixed him up pretty quick.
What it is with the left kidney?
Well, now I have to heal up. Get as much rest as possible over the next 2 weeks. Check in with Dr. G for my Post Op check up and once he clears me from surgery plan on starting part two of this project and get rid of the Hodgkins.
Oh, I didn't find anytime to read. Couldn't quite sit up in bed well enough to even attempt it. I just kept drifting in and out of sleep most of the time I was there. Slept better during the day than I did overnight.
Now the challenge at home is to figure out how to sleep without the adjustable bed.
Hmmn.
