Met with New Dr L (new oncologist) yesterday. Nice guy. Very thorough. We discussed my history and available treatments such as ABVD vs Stamford V (which I have read about) and the length of my treatment pending Bone marrow testing to further stage the disease.
As previously determined New Dr L is staying the course with ABVD however, he feels differently about Radiation on the back end. (Old Dr L was planning on setting me up for 4 weeks of radiation after Chemo.) New Dr L explained how the "old timers" still use radiation in many situations but the reason many Drs tend to leave it out now is the fact that so much more of my body is exposed to the radiation and that invites bigger problems 10-15 years down the road that could lead to Lung Cancers and such.
So Radiation may not play a part in my treatment now. The Bone Marrow test (being done Thursday in Morristown Memorial Hosp.) will determine if a change in the length of my treatment is necessary. Meaning as of now I am expecting 6 cycles (12 treatments), if my Bone Marrow is positive for lymphoma then Dr L will add another cycle (2 more treatments) to my regimen.
He explained treatment is typically 4 cycles plus 2 meaning I should be cancer free by the 4th cycle. A CT/PET scan will indicate that, the other 2 cycles are insurance treatments. Making sure the cancer is all gone.
Cancer math: 2 treatments = 1 cycle. (so by my eighth treatment I should be cancer free) the remaining 4 treatments (2 cycles) make sure it's gone for certain. It sounds shorter the other way. 6 cycles rather than 12 treatments. Anyway...
He gave me the name of a Dr who can take care of my need for the Port-a-cath to make my treatments easier for everyone involved. I have to schedule that within the next month.
So after my Bone Marrow is done tomorrow I am scheduled for Chemo on Friday at 9:15 am. My schedule for office visits will work like this...
Week One:
Chemo day (2 hours)
Next day back in office for SHOT to boost T-cells (to fight infection)
Week Two:
Blood work day Back in office long enough for Blood to be drawn to determine if I am risking infection and Dr will advise if I should lay low that week, avoiding exposure to germs, people etc.
Week Three:
Chemo day (2 hours)
Next day SHOT... same routine.
Week Four:
Blood work day to see if I risk infection that week...etc, etc.
It will be like this for the next 6 months. But I will know how I am doing week in and week out.
I unfortunately have to make the trip to Mountain Lakes every week sometimes for just a 5 minute shot in the arm. But that will be better than guessing if I might get sick because my ability to fight a cold is questionable...I will know where I stand every week. I like that.
And it sounds like I will be able to work a life around chemo this way.
Dawn plotted it out on a calendar last night and if all goes as planned I should be done with Chemo around July 4th.
Sounds good to me.
