Friday, January 5, 2007

Full night's sleep

I got a full night's sleep finally. I'm sure it did wonders for me considering the interruptions I got at the hospital. The Percocet I'm taking makes me dizzy and drousy. I'm eating, but not enough to get my lower intestines working. My Dr. warned me that my intestines can slow down with nothing to do since surgery and no substantial food intake since 1/1/07.

It's been slow going on the food intake and the intestinal activity to date.

Dr G also told me Percocet can bind me up, so regardless of what I'm trying to do I can't win. (I was told to buy something over the counter to counter act that side effect of the percocet)

I also have to do breathing exercises into a plastic machine that moves up and down as I open my lungs to avoid developing pneumonia from surgery. I can't move the thing much higher than 750 or 1000 right now. Someone from Respitory who told me how to use it calculated my age and height and told me to shoot for 2600 on the built in scale as I expand my lungs.

2600 yeah right, maybe by April.

I was also told that during the procedure my belly was filled with air to give the Dr room to work. Some of this air or gas as some people in the hospital referred to it got trapped near my shoulders so I am having a lot of pain in my shoulders, mostly my right one. I was also laying on my right side for 3 hours during surgery too, so my right shoulder hurts almost as much as my incision does.

But each day is better than the last one. I'm taking the stairs okay but find myself breathing harder once at the top of them. I guess that's to be expected right now, 3 days out of surgery.

Just have to take it one day at a time.