Saturday, February 3, 2007

Pain if from Neulasta & Talkin' about Radiation...

Dr L advised everything I have felt or gone thru since my first treatment is completely normal.

He also told me that the otherwise constant pain I am having (and wrote about in my last post) is related to the Neulasta. Even though I think it's muscles as well as bones that hurt or ache, it has strictly been my bones that hurt and that is one of the major side effects of Neulasta. Which I knew (they told me) but I didn't expect this much pain.

Even with that shot my white blood cells were down, but not dramatically. And my Bone Marrow is normal by the way. No lymphoma in the marrow. (GOOD NEWS)

Unfortunately I may end up getting radiation after all, Dr L has to investigate the size of the tumor in my chest to determine if it is necessary. If the tumor in my chest is/was 10cm or greater at the time of my CT scan last November radiation may be necessary based on that size because he said the Lymphoma has a chance of returning. (I guess that's too big a tumor to have in your chest even with Hodgkin's)

Dr L doesn't want to give me radiation and I can see it on his face talking about it, he's not happy about the idea but I never did hear anyone discuss the size of the tumor this whole time. Even (old) Dr L referred to it as LARGE, but never said how LARGE. (I never thought to ask)

So this may be a problem. The issue with Radiation and why (new) Dr L doesn't want to use it is because typically 10-15 years down the road (he says) I risk lung cancers and such. I don't know what the odds are that it is more RISK than CERTAINTY. (I'll have to look into that)

In 15 years (God willing) I'll be 52.

He placed a call to Chilton's radiology dept while we were in his office to discuss it. Lets pray I don't need the Radiation.