In the last two days I have been thru my PET scan and Biopsy of the node(s) in my neck. I don't know what (Dr.G) the surgeon I met on Monday not my Urologist (Dr. G) took out of my neck exactly.
The biopsy took longer than I expected though. I was at the Wayne Surgical Building. It was basically a MINI-Hospital. I was prepped for O.R. and by out patient they only meant to say that I was going home today. I was given an IV and I had to change all of my clothes into hospital only approved gowns etc. It was nothing like my Vasectomy in June. That was all local anesthetic and I was complately awake. This was all the fun of regular surgery without the hospital stay.
Today I was sedated. (I think my anesthesiologist was Joey Ramone). I may have not recieved the full on general doseage but I remember being wheeled into the O.R. Switching tables and moving the arm with the IV to a better position and that's about it. I woke up in "recovery" and felt like I had the most satisfying nap I have ever had. I could have stayed there and slept peacefully all night.
Now my neck hurts.
One more day of hospital stuff and I'm done this week until Monday and that's just a consult.
Last night we sort of bridged the subject of my continuous Dr visists with our oldest child. It wasn't as hard to discuss as I thought, but we danced around the details and let her know the Dr.s are working to make me feel better. That seemed to be enough.
The PET scan yesterday, was uneventful. I learned a little radiology 101 thanks to the tech I met and who operated the cold machine in the even colder room. I was injected with some radioactive element to highlight the areas in my body that are "moving" when I'm at rest. The malignant cells would be moving/multiplying at irregular intervals, so basically my lymph nodes and kidney should show up in the report.
That's it for now. Heart and Lung tests tomorrow and then I hope to know everything by next week. I have a feeling treatment will begin around Xmas. I don't know why, but I do.
