Saturday, March 10, 2007

One Lucky Bastard.

Had my 4th chemo today.

Note: I have been really ornery these last two trips to Mountain Lakes. I am not waking up on chemo Friday's in a good mood at all. (I suppose I should be entitled to being a little pissy) but Dawn and I have had a few good knock down drag outs this week over extremely stupid stuff.

Mostly it's because I have been behaving like an a**hole.

And that's putting it lightly.

Besides the last treatment left me feeling pretty crappy from Friday until Wednesday. We think I popped the Emend too early and the drugs got the better of me. Today I took it 15 minutes prior to chemo and so far so good.

It's 12:51 AM and I feel pretty good right now. My head is kind of fuzzy but my stomach is quiet. Shhh.

Another Note: Dawn spotted Dr B in the mall the other night. Dr B intoduced us to Emend two treatments ago. After Dawn reminded him of me being a patient there she told me his face lit up in recognition because...

Ahem...(rubbing finger nails on chest.) My case was recently presented to 50 doctors.

My case. 50 doctors. Two Cancers. One room.

We saw Dr L in the office today. He addressed the still pending radiation issue. He has NOT been able to get anyone at Chilton to return his calls about my November CT scan to discuss the size of the tumor in my chest.

We still believe my films are at St Clares because I had to bring them there for my kidney biopsy in December. He said if we can find them he will hand them to a radiologist and determine my fate ASAP. I then asked him about Dr B's story about my case and the 50 doctors. I told him what Dr G (urologist) said prior to surgery (That I could be seen as a case study.) Dr L made a (give me a break) face but I think it was more for Dr G than me...what he did say was:

"You we're presented because you're a lucky bastard"

That's a direct quote. He said it twice.

I'm apparently lucky for at least three reasons:
1) If not for the lymphoma we never would have found the Kidney cancer in time, if at all.
2) Both, in my case are curable.
3) As rare as it is to end up with two cancers at the same time, it seems just as rare to end up with two that can be cured.

I guess that does indeed makes me one lucky bastard.

Dawn then got me thinking, she said: "Most people sometimes can't beat one cancer and you're beating two". There may be something to that. She pretty much reinforced what I wrote about second chances (in a previous post.)

And my wife has always believed that everything happens for a reason.

The severity of Kidney cancer is always readable on the face of any Dr or Nurse I mention it to in conversation. Lymphoma basically saved my life...what else can you say about that?

Third Note: We finally got a live person on the horn and located my CT films at St Clares and will pick them up Saturday after my shot in the morning.


4 down, 8 to go.

-Lucky.