Friday, May 8, 2009

This American Life

After owning an iPod for almost 3 years I just discovered Podcasts.

Loaded up about 60 different podcasts ranging from Learning spanish, to various NPR shows, Jazz stuff, to Prairie Home Companion and This American Life episodes.

My wife doesn't understand how I can easily listen to Talk Radio and doesn't appreciate these talky type of stories that don't include music. Radio with no music? Why would anyone bother?

I don't know. But there are about 15 years of "This American Life" to catch up with...

Sweeeeet.

I think my fascination with "This American Life" is about telling stories. Anything NPR and my appreciation of WBGO (a jazz radio station out of Newark NJ) all speak to my sensibilities of great non-commercial product. Anything outside of the mainstream is interesting to me because anything overly commercial is too watered down and boring.

Like Top 40 radio and National Broadcast TV.

Too simple and repetitive, too clean and too boring.

I'll settle for it sometimes don't get me wrong, but I'd prefer something with more risk, rougher edges and a sliver of unpredictability.

Much like life.



In Cancer news: I am marching toward my two year remission anniversary on May 18th.

Life has been very hectic lately and I wouldn't be surprised if I miss it.


We'll see.


Be well