taking life one day at a time...
As I began this blog some 2.5 years ago I set out to explain and explore what was going on with little ol' me, a wanna be writer/cartoonist with nothing terribly important to say. I started the blog in an attempt at keeping myself occupied and to provide a distraction. And maybe to keep out of state family up to date on my health. It was also an excuse to write about "Something" that was actually happening. I had cancer.
I have lost track of the 200 plus posts thus far but each time I have tried to walk away and start something else or just get away from cancer I end up coming back here.
Slowly I have resigned myself to the fact that Cancer has given me a voice and a place to write from. It's something that has caused so much pain and anguish in my house. It has touched my family in too many ways. But to not acknowledge it as a source of frustration and inspiration at the same time would be silly.
I have a heart for anyone diagnosed, living with, being treated or in remission of a cancer. It calls to me. I am saddened by the news whenever I hear it but feel I need to reach out to anyone and make a connection. A simple gesture to acknowledge that we are a part of a club neither of us wanted to join but we are indeed related...perhaps by circumstance or coincidence but it seems empathy goes a long way.
I understand. I have walked a mile in those shoes for six months straight...where did they put your port?
I think cancer made me a slightly more positive person, although I still have my cynical streaks...(nature is nature) I look at things in a different light...and I know that sounds all new agey but priorities shift when you get a cancer diagnosis. Any life threatening diagnosis will do that to you...
If you can walk away from something like this unchanged, you just are not human.
I think I am stepping into a new chapter in my life post cancer. I am a two year survivor and steadily focusing on my writing and talking about cancer. Awareness is important as is early detection.
I have plans and dreams and although I wish they didn't involve "Cancer" I can't get away from it. It's a part of me and it continues to affect my family and my household and influence my life.
Frustrations will arise, road blocks will emerge. I have to keep going. Cancer screwed up our lives in very big ways and it is bound to do so again some day. If I can be of any help in making someone else's journey a little easier than perhaps it will all have been worth it.
Here's to future endeavors and finding out why I was saddled with these two diseases...to writing into the great blue yonder and leaving behind a long trail of useful words...
Be well
See you next post.
-Scotty
