Thursday, August 21, 2008

THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH US!!!!!

Not only do I NOT like Corn as a veggie ( I hate it)...I am convinced as is this documentary (which I have yet to watch) that "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" is what is making us FAT and making us SICK!

"hello...Carbs!"

Someone once told me to watch out for multi-grain bread...which is supposedly healthier for us.
His point..."they feed grain to cattle to fatten them up!"

King Corn...(documentary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCRwMMh9k8



This clip is from CNN...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JfDrbytoM&feature=related

This is one of those things that I am convinced is making us sick...bringing on obesity, heart disease, cancer etc.


We can't escape it but my wife and I try. We check every label looking for either HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) or the word HYDROGENATED.

(Hydrogenation results in the conversion of liquid vegetable oils to solid or semi-solid fats, such as those present in margarine. Changing the degree of saturation of the fat changes some important physical properties such as the melting point, which is why liquid oils become semi-solid. Semi-solid fats are preferred for baking because the way the fat mixes with flour produces a more desirable texture in the baked product. Since partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are cheaper than animal source fats, are available in a wide range of consistencies, and have other desirable characteristics (e.g., increased oxidative stability (longer shelf life)), they are the predominant fats used in most commercial baked goods. Fat blends formulated for this purpose are called shortenings.

Health implications

A side effect of incomplete hydrogenation having implications for human health is the
isomerization of the remaining unsaturated carbon bonds. The cis configuration of these double bonds predominates in the unprocessed fats in most edible fat sources, but incomplete hydrogenation partially converts these molecules to trans isomers, which have been implicated in circulatory diseases including heart disease (see trans fats). The catalytic hydrogenation process favors the conversion from cis to trans bonds because the trans configuration has lower energy than the natural cis one. At equilibrium, the trans/cis isomer ratio is about 2:1. Food legislation in the US and codes of practice in EU has long required labels declaring the fat content of foods in retail trade, and more recently, have also required declaration of the trans fat content. Further, trans fats are banned in Denmark and Switzerland.)

IT IS ALMOST EVERYWHERE!

We are DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.

Adam and Eve didn't have this problem.


My problem is that I have not been able to shake the weight I put back on after the cancer went into remission. I am not active enough, I know that. I just can't make the time with the work hours I keep which is also beginning to have an effect on how poorly I eat.

Especially in the morning.

I need to be at work very early. And in a house with two kids I don't get to bed early enough to wake up with enough time to eat a sensible breakfast.

But I am sick of being overweight. Not to mention my oncologist reminds me every time he sees me for a check up. I want to see him in October a few pounds lighter. It would be nice to mark my birthday a few pounds lighter as well. (I think we'll skip the cake this year)

I need to avoid and I plan to avoid all unnecessary sugar from here on out, that includes reading labels and not consuming foods that are processed and have anything hydrogenated or sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

Damn the man! He's trying to kill us.

I have posted about this before but I am back in the rut I was in before cancer...I am working a full time job, I am sitting in my car for an hour each way...I eat in the car on my way to work. I pack my own lunch but I am not paying as much attention to what I eat as I was last year.

I need less of a commute, more time in the morning to eat a healthier breakfast...I need more time in the evening to walk and get some exercise. I have some adjustments to make and that may involve changing jobs to boot.

This is my health we're talking about here. Money is just money and work is just work. I do not want to fall into a pattern where I am a couch potato at night because I have exhausted all my energy at work. But I see that happening...

What's left for me and my family?

If I keep this pattern up more health problems in the future and more grief because of it.

Ugh!



Trying to be well.