I have to apologize for the gap in my writing here.
Today I had my first return visit to my Oncologist since my last treatment (July 3, 2007). It was strangely comforting to see my oncology nurses again, as if seeing old friends. Seeing Dr. L again was uneventful, He noted my weight gain and busted my chops about it. We discussed how I've been feeling and gave me the usual physical.
I checked out fine.
He wrote out the 'script for my next CT scan and since I did so well on this check up he advised me to put some space between this next CT scan and the one to follow. He told me to check back in around May or June, instead of March.
In some small conversations with the nurses who took my blood and checked my weight we learned that the office has been extremely busy (unfortunately) and has had to add extra chairs in the infusion room to accommodate the influx of patients.
That breaks my heart.
We took a peak into the infusion room to see some other nurses and from what I could see most chairs were filled this afternoon.
But as check ups go this one was perfect.
I am also still working at Route 23 Honda as well.
I took the job at Honda primarily to get back into the swing of things and get the family back on private insurance. You may recall we qualified for Medicaid at one point last year, simply put Medicaid was a joke.
It doesn't work.
I have not spent much time ranting about it here but as free state sponsored insurance goes, my experience with it was very frustrating. While I believe and support the need for inexpensive (read: cheap but reliable) insurance for everyone, perhaps even "free" health insurance if it could work...the system I was eligible for and tried to use was a sad, sad excuse for health care.
The WIC program and Food Stamps program were more of a benefit for us and less complicated than the insurance nightmare that is Medicaid.
Maybe once "Second Chance Mission" is officially established and able to help people in need, maybe we can work on a solution to cheap but reliable health insurance. A friend of mine, Tom Walker of "Friday's Child" http://www.frichild.com/ and I have talked about his desire to establish a health care solution for people who need health care that works.
And lastly I discovered this blog http://truebeautyneverhurries.blogspot.com/ on Duane Bailey-Castro's blog: http://journalofaprizefighter.blogspot.com/.
Please check it out. Send your comments, thoughts, hope and prayers.
Be well.
