Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Simple Solutions...

In the months that have passed since my diagnosis we have grown more and more aware of how "toxic" New Jersey is. Ultimately our plan is to eventually move out of state. On top of the health issues this state has we can't afford to live here anymore.

In the interest of changing our lives for the better and improving our chances of never having to deal with Cancer again we are looking at foods differently, mostly seeking out organic foods, from fruit to meat to milk and cereals.

I believe the combination of diet and exercise and environmental factors contributed to my cancers and while I can control the food I eat and get my ass up and out of the house I can't exactly control environmental carcinogens.

My goal after my last treatment in July is to:

1) Eat to Live. (real foods vs processed crap)
2) Condition my body with exercise of some kind. (I believe TV makes you fat)
3) Reduce the toxins in my environment that I can.

In reducing the toxins I can I found a solution to dealing with bugs that doesn't involve chemicals (I still have issues with the smells of some chemicals thanks to my chemo experience): www.dontbugmepatch.com offers a trans dermal skin patch (5 for $5) that eliminates the need for a spray on bug repellent.

This "solution" was found in a magazine called OUTSIDE (www.outsideonline.com) which was focused on being green and offered other green solutions to helping the earth like:

Better smelling and safer cleaning supplies www.ecover.com

www.newdream.org and www.41pounds.org will work to eliminate 95% of junk mail you get in your mail box saving 62 million trees and your peace of mind when dealing with all that crap everyday.

www.nikebiz.com grinds up old sneakers and uses them for new athletic surfaces.

Of course the magazine recommended buying rechargeable batteries which is a better investment and keeps more mercury and cadmium out of landfills and ground water.

www.denimtherapy.com will re-thread old torn jeans with threads that match the original wash @ $7.00 an inch.

Did you know Lap tops computers use 80% less energy than desk tops?

You can recharge your iPod using solar power using a solar charger available for $110.00 www.mysoldus.com

LED lightbulbs may cost $45.00 each but use 90% less energy than incandescents.

www.computertakeback.com will properly recycle old PCs

and installing a low flow shower head will use 50-70% less water. $12.00 at www.gaiam.com

Just a few ideas I found and plan on using where we can to improve our lives and our envrionment.