Saturday, May 19, 2007

Emergency Medical Dispatch

Among yesterday's good news I was studying for my exam and readying myself for the "practicals" we were told were part of our exam.

I feel better about this test even with all the medical terminology involved. The medical review class felt like pre-med 101 with all the terms and functions we had to learn.

We had to learn: all 7 body systems, symptoms and signs of shock, Hemorrhagic, Psychogenic, Hypovolemic etc. We were told about the complicated functions of the heart and lungs, how and why stomach pains could easily be cardiac arrest. The Respiratory, Circulatory, Muscloskeletal and Genito-Urinary systems respectively.

Our practical test involved 3 simulated 9-1-1 calls that involved Medical, Trauma and Time-life Critical (Choking or CPR) calls.

Once these tests are graded and my CPR card comes thru the state recognizes me as a certified EMD: Emergency Medical Dispatcher.

Next step a career! I never really looked at work that way even after 12 years in the hotel biz. Work was just work to me...never a career. I was always supposed to be a cartoonist with a day job. Now work in Emergency Services is the "purpose" of my "second chance" -my way of doing something meaningful with the life I've been given back.

It has been a long week but yesterday's news made getting thru last night's class that much sweeter. How long the state takes in grading these tests and sending my certificates is another thing altogether.