"Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is Dead!"
Dr L called and confirmed the results of my CT/PET scan from Wednesday.
I am officially in remission. The Pet scan was perfect and I am now considered cancer free!
I can't fully express how I am feeling right now. Obviously relieved and I suppose not surprised since he told me this scan would reveal this. Even good news hits you like a ton of bricks.
I didn't get as many questions out as I wanted to and will probably see him on Tuesday but we discussed the timeline regarding my future CT/PET scans.
Starting 3 months after my treatment ends in July, I will again visit BOTH the CT and PET scan machines. I will do that as follows for the next 5 years.
Year one: 4 times
Year two: 2 times
Year three, four and five: Once each year.
I asked him why only once because that seemed rather far apart but he assured me I will be scanned by both machines which will find anything that dares show up again. (God forbid).
So now the battle shifts in the other direction, Now it's all about never getting it again and lifestyle changes regarding food and activity to improve my entire family's chances of never having it affect them again. (I think the food we eat is partly to blame for the diseases that plague us these days)
GOALS: Maintaining a healthy body weight and lifestyle. Weight is a factor for some cancers.
Awareness, meaning keeping my kids aware of it (once I fully explain this to them someday) and keeping them healthy and active trying to diminish their chances they might end up with it someday because of the genetic link that now exists and because the proximity of them getting it is now greater because they are just ONE generation removed from Cancer.
This whole thing, life itself is a crap shoot. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. All we can do is be as Pro-active as possible and be Aware and Alert and Preventive.
Cancer might be genetic, environmnental or just dumb luck. There's obvious things people can do to avoid contributing to it, most importantly is taking it seriously enough especially if you're surrounded by it because a parent, child or sibling has or had it.
Remember 1 in 3 people and 1 in 4 families are effected by Cancer every day. Those are not good odds.
GET CHECKED OUT. Talk to your your Primary Doctor and discuss family history. Early screening saves lives. Insurance companies SUCK! I'm not denying that and thay may not make it easy to get early screenings...I'm still working my issues with Aenta out. But family history is too important no matter what that history is. Heart disease, Cancer, Diabetes...WAITING UNTIL YOU FIND SOMETHING WRONG IS JUST PLAIN STUPID!
So now I begin couting forward and marking anniversaries. My DX (diagnosis) 12/19/06 and NED (no evidence of disease) 5/18/07.
Glory to God in the highest and on earth, peace, good will to man.
...more later.
