I subscribed to a Magazine called: CURE. (Cancer Updates Research and Education) it was a free subscription at www.curetoday.com.
In the most recent issue they also had a feature on "clearing the fog" and discussed Chemo brain. The focus seems to be on Breast Cancer treatment and not any other cancers in what I've read about it so far. I'm sure there is more on the web, but I haven't looked into it.
The brief article suggests keeping a daily planner, eating well to think well primarily veggies and taking time to tune up your memory. They suggest reading a book called "The Memory Bible" by a Gary Small MD, director of UCLA's Center on Aging.
It seems somewhere Doctors are paying attention to this long term side effect. Just what they can do about it is unknown because treatments change and these long term side effects then become moving targets.
In other news, I had my 6th treatment. "my HUMP" treatment" as I have been calling it. Except for the need to sleep it hasn't been a bad weekend so far. Some minor taste issues and the usual hic-cups associated with the Emend, which lead to my acid reflux last time. But thankfully no reflux so far.
I did notice a new side effect, tingling in my hands and feet as I drifted off to sleep yesterday afternoon after chemo. I've known about that as a side effect but until yesterday, never felt it. It could be as Dr B discussed acid reflux with us in the office on Friday that the accumulative nature of the treatments are catching up with me. He advised keeping an eye on the reflux because I don't want to damage my esophagus.
Lastly, we learned late yesterday afternoon that my mother-in-law recently diagnosed with Breast cancer had her usual 6 month CT scan last week. The results found a "suspicious looking lymph node" in her stomach. She just began radiation for the breast cancer and now may be looking at a round of chemo if they determine it as NHL (Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma) again.
If it is NHL again it will be her THIRD time dealing with it. The second time it came back it showed up in her stomach. They may be considering a biopsy but we don't know yet. It seems she is in remission for only 2-2.5 years before the cancer comes back, like it's been hibernating and when it's had enough sleep it shows up again.
And on top of that my father-in-law has to have back surgery because it appears he has three herniated disc's along with an arthritic back to boot.
So combine my treatments, 2 kids and the further developments with my wife's parents and you can imagine how overwhelmed Dawn is right now.
How much further is rock bottom?
